Author Topic: Advance Facebook Button with Open Graph Support for SMF 2.0 Gold  (Read 332397 times)

Ricky

Advance Facebook Like button with SEND button and Open Graph Support
by Ricky.
For SMF 2.0 RC5, 2.0, 2.0.1

Download this MOD

Description

This Mod allows you to add Facebook like button at prominent location on your forum along with open graph and with option to specify your own image which will be shown along with your shared link on Facebook , you can use your logo as shared image which will help you to spread your name. With Open Graph Support it lets you to use features like Facebook Insight so that you can check how many people Liked and Shared your link on facebook etc.

You may get your facebook link App ID and Admin ID here. Though it may work without it also but obtaining one is recommended.

Features

• Lets you specify FB Admin ID and App ID so that you can track your facebook LIKE button activity on Facebook insight.
  • Ability to provide custom image which will be shown along your shared URL on facebook, helps to increase awareness bout your site.
  • Ability to disable / enable like button inside topics.
  • Also lets you to show FB like button on each post of a given topic. You can turn it OFF / ON from Admin panel.

Demo

Webmaster Forum- ifandbut.com

Installation

Simply install it via package manager.

Installation on Custom Template

This MOD need manual modification in order to function on custom themes other than default. You can use Package Parser to do the required changes. If you are unsure about it then you can ask me.

Administration

After install you can access it through Admin Panel where you can specify your own Message for Guests as well as for Members.
  • For SMF 2.0, 2.0.1 , 2 RC 5 :
    Goto --> Admin --> Configuration --> Modification --> Miscellaneous 

Customization

This MOD allows you to have basic facebook like button on every page of the website, if not on topic, clicking like button will actually submit your main Forum URL and if on topic then it will submit your TOPIC url. You can turn off in-topic LIKE button which also includes FB send button.

Changelog

0.2 - Added feature to show FB like button on each posts of given topic.
        Removed FB like button from Administration Area to avoid unnecessary facebook OG calls

0.1 - Initial release
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:41:34 AM by Jaffery »

Protonus

Re: Advance Facebook Button with Open Graph Support for SMF 2.0 Gold
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:23 AM »
Ricky, first of all, thanks so much for making this!  I have it installed and live on my site, http://www.rocmoto.org
I had to manually edit the Black Rain 2.0 theme we use, but I got it working.  I have a few things I'd like to improve though, was hoping you could help. 

The text IN a post that says "Be the first of your friends to like this." or "John Smith likes this" - is not a good color for our Black Rain template, it's hardly readable.  From what I can tell with firebug, it looks like this color is from a CSS on facebook's site?  I'm assuming there is a way to over ride it in my theme, just not sure how.  Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've attached a screenshot of this issue, I circled the text in question in green.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:55:39 AM by Protonus »

Protonus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »
The second thing, I think is a bug in the implementation of this mod?   It does the same thing with threads I like on your demo forum here, so I dont' think it's specific to my site.  See the attached photo as an example from my facebook wall:

The first post is a post I liked on Engadget.  See how it goes:
Post Name
Referring URL
Site Name?

The second post is a thread I liked on my forum.  See the difference?  It goes:
Thread Name
Thread Name again.

I'd like it to work just like it does on Engadget and other sites. 

Ricky

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:01:47 AM »
Regarding first issue, I can only answer after seeing again into mod as I don't exactly remember things.

Regarding second issue, I just tested,
It is showing fine and as expected. ...  only once on index page, it was not showing url and I guess that is something with how FB scraps a page..
Below are two test screenshot for you ..

Moderator11

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
Hey Ricky- with the app and admin ID's, where do I put these pieces of information?  In the code or just when I turn on the mod in the modifications section?  Also, I enabled the "like" button for each post and it isn't showing up- any idea why that would be?

Moderator11

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
Nevermind I think I figured that part out!  However, there isn't much room for the post section if a user hits the "like" button- is there any way to fix that?

Moderator11

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
Also, I switched out the given e_fb_default image for my forum image, but it isn't showing up on facebook when I "like" my website- is there another way to change the image that shows up?

Ricky

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 06:20:52 AM »
You are supposed to give full url in admin area to image, only then it will work.

cold_zero

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
where do i have to do manual changes to remove the like button in the upper right corner of the forum?
(is just whant them in topics and answers)?  :)
Thanks in advance.

RazorsEdge

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
Is it possible to have the "Like" button working on the forum without the mod sending the info to facebook? I just want the feature to work on my forum only.

Ricky

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
The like feature is actually feature of Facebook, we are simply embedding it on SMF so that you can promote your forum's content to FB directly.

It will not work the way you want.

pikapower

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
it seems thet the facebook app goes behind the theme.
Can this be fixed ?

Ricky

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:25 PM »
hmm.. That is strange, can you tell me if it is looking same in all browsers or this problem is only with some specific web browser ?

pikapower

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
Thats in most browsers, i use Chrome and FF.
Is there a way to solve this?

pikapower

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »
is there any way to fix this ? please help me with this.

X

Do you know?

IfAndBut.com gives you a platform where you can ask questions related to web and internet..
So, why wait..
Join Now!
anything